Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Classical Radio

This morning I heard a cello sonata as usual on the classical radio. I thought how they don't play tenor sax or bass clarinet sonatas, it is only logical because the music they play on the radio is from the 19 century or older. It is very rare you hear something from the 20th century. The wind instruments were very imperfect in the 19 century and older than that. There was no clarinet in Vivaldi's time. It was a new instrument in Mozart's time. The sax was very unpopular except for the great composers like Berlioz and Wagner that championed the instrument. Adolphe sax was a great friend of Berlioz. I was listening yesterday to the radio and they played Henry Cowell which was a contemporaneous with Charles Ives and died in the 60's. Paul Creston died in the 80's both have lots of saxophone, clarinet works, but one doesn't hear them on the radio for it is 20th century. These composers wrote music that is conventional too that could be played on the radio, but they don't. I heard one time on the radio john Cage In A Landscape, which sounded very peaceful, but they just don't ever play anything like that. I am at school now, and don't like listening with headphones, but I know of Last Fm ~ real nice. I just wanted to say the radio has something against 20th century! Someone told me that there are no American composers, that is wrong, the radio refuses to play them, there are hundreds, I can name 25! 20th century ones.